Pillar Box Red - Cotton Drill
Price is per HALF metre. 1 unit = 0.5metres. For 1.5metres, add 3 units.
All cut length orders are sent as one continuous length.
Composition: 100% Cotton
Width: 156cm / 61.4inch
Pattern repeat: N/A
Pillar Box Red - Cotton Drill is one of our drill and twill fabrics that was traditionally used to make workwear and utility clothing. Still used for uniforms and countless outdoor purposes from equestrian to workwear, and all manner of clothing and accessories, through to useful homewares and soft furnishings. Read on for inspiring ideas and hints & tips about our new addition to the Drills & Twills section.
Pillar Box Red is as its name suggests a classic red - the colour of the iconic British Pillar Post Box. Classic red - adored for its punchy and confidant hue. Perfect teamed with navy, royal blue and white for a nautical 'Yacht club' style. We love the practicality of this hardwearing classic red fabric.
Drills and twills are traditionally used in protective clothing production for industrial workers and those with outdoor jobs. This iconic style popularised during wartime for practical and hardworking clothing quickly filtered down to become a basic staple, seen in most wardrobes. Its fine twill weave, stable handle, medium weight, and pleasing cotton feel (that gets better with time) make Pillar Box Red perfect for a plethora of practical and classic clothing.
This fabric boasts excellent strength, stability and a versatile handle. It will drape well and has a pleasing malleable hand, yet will hold crisp details such as collars and top-stitched panels; characteristic of jeans and utility styles.
Pillar Box Red is the ideal fabric for colour lovers. Team with other punchy toned cotton drill fabrics for attention-stealing ensembles. All you have to do is decide what to make from this super versatile fabric. Here are a few helpful suggestions to set you on your way:
- Denim skirt styles: The Pattern Stash - Amelia skirt is perfect for colour blocking
- Friday Pattern Co - The Ilford Jacket for classic and unique (colour-blocked) utility shacket styling. Now available at Fabworks!
- Classic trench coats: Ulysses Trench - Victory Patterns, Isla Trench Coat - Named Clothing
- Utility/Parka/Anoraks: Makers Atelier - The Utility Coat, Sienna Maker Jacket - Closet Core Patterns
- Denim style jackets: Butterick 5616
- Classic blazer & trousers ensemble: Burda 7134
- Jeans, dungarees, boilersuits: The Pattern Stash - Lynsey Dungarees, Fibremood - Leah
- Pinafore dresses: TATB - Cleo, Sew Different - Scoop Pinafore
There are of course countless other brilliant sewing patterns available, these are but a few. Other excellent uses are craft aprons, tool aprons/holders, tote bags, messenger bags, hats, caps, rucksacks, and barrel bags.